Active School Flag (ASF) is a Department of Education and Skills initiative supported by Healthy Ireland. The award recognises schools which strive to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community. It links in with all of the work we are doing throughout the year on Healthy Living – being active, getting exercise, taking care of our minds and bodies. For more information on the Active Schools Initiative, see here.
The Active School Flag (ASF) is awarded to schools that strive to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community. The process aims to get more schools, more active, more often.
In order to achieve the flag, we have to:
- Adhere to DES Guidelines regarding PE timetable provision for all pupils.
- Teach a broad and balanced PE curriculum.
- Inform and invite the whole school community to participate in the Active School process.
- Self-evaluate our current provision in terms of P.E, Physical Activity and Community Links.
- Plan and Implement improvements for each of the aforementioned areas.
- Organise an ‘Active School Week’ as part of the annual school calendar.
Tips for Parents
As part of the Active Flag, we want everybody to be as active as possible! These are great website with ideas and local activities that you can join in with.
We look forward to hearing an ideas or suggestions you may have to help make our school a more physically educated and active community. If you have any ideas, please inform a member of the Active School Flag Committee.